Week two started off with sort of a strange turn. We left the state park in Indiana and headed back to the Ft. Wayne area to wait for a load. The phone rang and in no time, we had a load to, of all places, Appleton, Wisconsin. We dropped the load (a leaf spring for an ambulance) and headed over to my dad’s farm just east of Green Bay. Got to spend some time with Dad and visited with other family as well. We didn’t get any calls for loads so we were still in town for a family get-together on Wednesday night.
But all good things must come to an end and we rolled At out on Thursday, finally ending up at a truck stop north of Milwaukee. Then things got a little strange. At 1:30 in the morning, we got a call from dispatch asking if we wanted to bid on a load from Waukegon, IL to Bakersfield, California. We said sure and made the bid and went back to sleep. Usually, after making a bid, they will let you know in 10-15 minutes if you won the load. About an hour later, we got another wake up call asking if we were hazmat (hazardous materials) certified. We said no and figured that would be the end of it. But a half hour later, we got a third call saying they had changed the load so it didn’t need a hazmat certification and we could take it if we wanted it. So we were headed to Bakersfield carrying two barrels of “Highly Flammable” material.
We detoured farther south because of some bad weather near Denver and made it into Bakersfield by late afternoon Sunday.